More external VGA weirdness

Thanks to some of the hints, I got a mirror setup (both CRT + LCD) to work
properly on an iBook.
I'll give a presentation on Wednesday so that's pretty cool.

Here's the way to go:
- startup normally
  * booting with closed lid not required (1)
  * booting into OSX first not required
- startup XFree86 without UseFBDev (2)
  * using Option "Monitor" "CRT"
  * using MonitorLayout ... not required
- now, the CRT displays the desktop, and the LCD does but improperly (3)
- shutting down XFree86, restarting with UseFBDev
- voilà, doing something productive (4)

Remarks:
(1) When booting with lid closed, the LCD is turned on but doesn't display
anything. The CRT only displays the OF menu, yaboot menu and the first stage
of Linux booting until the frame buffer appears. Then it switches off because
the hsync is out of range (180.9 Hz), while vsync is ok (80.6 kHz).
(2) When starting with UseFBDev first, the monitor is not recognized. However,
(3) ... when starting without UseFBDev, the LCD displays weird lines, and
switching to the console does not work (similar experience than what the
default woody setup gives)
(4) One common task is running OpenOffice. While a relocation error happens
when running it as user, this doesn't happen when running as root and then
issung su -c "startx" - $user. (Yes, login shell required, otherwise the
effect won't take place.) See bug #170044, message from Matthias Urlichs.
So having to log in as root is justified anyway, at least for the moment.
(5) A bit unrelated, but still interesting: When calling startx & (forking
into the background) from within a shell script, I'm told:
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
I can start X this way from the bash directly, or from a script without
forking, but not a combination of the two.

Using 2.4.20-ben1 and dri-trunk packages.

Josef

--
Free operating systems. Free software. Free games.