eth0: switched to forced 10bt

Hello,

I have a TiBook III with Ben's kernel 2.4.20-ben1. When I do not have
any ethernet cable plugged in, every 5 seconds I get a message

eth0: switched to forced 10bt
and
eth0: switched to forced 100bt

Is it normal?
Is there a way to get rid of it without turning eth0 down?
In a general way, is there a way to get rid of kernel messages in the
text consoles? (I know it is not a ppc-specific question, please excuse
me, but I did not find an answer elswere yet)

Thanks for your help

raph

Unix IS user-friendly. It just chooses its friends carefully

clef publique - öffentlicher Schlüssel - public key:
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~proust/raph-pub-key.txt