Re: Tuxracer stopped working after the latest dri-trunk upgrade.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:43:21PM -0700, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> "Branden Robinson" <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Out of curiosity, do you regard *this* message as a flame?
>
> No, happily, this is one the more reasoned replies you made, thanks.

My message to Sr. Climent was no more inflammatory than my reply to you.

> I would like to know what your intent was. Did you wish to express
> anger?

It is true that I was upset, but I was attempting to suppress that and
craft a message with more worthwhile content.

> Did you wish to make people on this list aware that Jesus was
> not giving you (and possibly others) credit?

To some extent.

> Was it your desire to educate someone to better understand the
> complicated IP issues around copyright?

Mostly.

> I'm kind of surprised that all of this happened over a WWW site
> designed to help people install linux on a laptop. Nobody stands to
> gain any prestige or money from putting together such resources.

For me, it isn't about prestige or money, though I can't speak to the
motivations of others.

> Why make a big public stink?
[...]

I don't send private mail -- especially unsolicited private mail --
unless I have something private to say.  My page was public, his page
was public, so I saw no reason for a discussion of those public
resources to be private.

> >From my (limited) experience, you've done a lot of amazingly excellent
> work for the debian community, but you also have an attitude of
> greeting people at the door with both guns drawn - not a particularly
> warm greeting. If that's how you wish to be perceived, then
> continue. However, it will certainly have consequences such as
> potentially alienating people like Jesus who have an honest desire to
> help, but get greeted by one of your full-frontal-assaults.

Sr. Climent and I seem to have recitifed the issue.  Both are pages are
back up.  In any case, I think you exaggerate with your analogy.  I made
it very clear to Sr. Climent that he didn't need to feel any sort of
threat from me.  If I wanted to be a real prick I'd have whined about
"copyright infringement" and made a lot of nasty noise about how it's
"illegal" to appropriate someone else's work, and so on and so forth.

But I don't do that, because only pricks deal with people that way
except as a matter of last resort when the stakes are very, very high.
That wasn't the case here.  What we have in Debian is a community, and
we can, for the most part, keep legalistic, lawyerly nonsense out of
things if we have social norms that we respect instead -- like respect
for authorship, and citations of one's sources.  That is what I was
attempting to uphold, in my likely ham-fisted way.  Debian is also about
openness (Social Contract, clause 3 -- I think it should apply to more
than just the BTS).  If you feel that raising the issue publicly at all
was a breach of propriety, then we must agree to disagree.

Since we're egregiously off-topic now, I ask that any followup go to me
privately, or to the debian-project mailing list; the latter in
particular if people feel like discussing a social theory of Debian.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Ignorantia judicis est calamitas