Installer doesn't see the drive on a dual 867

I just got a new dual proc 867 and I wanted to install debian on it.

I installed Mac OSX and OS9 leaving a 10 gig free (unallocated) at the
beginning of the drive.

I downloaded one of the network install images and after burning it, I
rebooted the machine. It boots fine, but... it doesn't see hda... no
hard drive.

I tried booting of the drive, thinking that that way it would have to
see it. No luck. I installed the files on a HFS partition on the drive
and still no luck. Not a mention to hda on dmesg either.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? or if this is a know bug...

Benja