Re: share data with macos

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:59:25PM +0100, Jean-Christophe Michel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to put some data on my mac hfs partition on a dual boot
> pwbk.
> But i cannot mount partition in writable mode:
>
> mount -t hfs -w /dev/hda12 /mac
> mounts it in read only...
>
> Is it due to hfs ?

No.  You probably just need to do something simple like changing
permissions on the directory "/hfs" -- after which you *can* write
from linux to your macos partition, but it is a bit risky.

The main concern is that the written hfs partition can get messed up.
So it is *much* safer to have a separate hfs partition used only for
exchanging data.  It sounds as though you should seriously consider
doing some repartitioning of your hard disk.

Linux support for hfs, though not too bad, is still "experimental" --
it doesn't seem to mess up hfs filesystems the way it used to, but I
have had kernel panics with woody's 2.20 pmac kernel when writing to
hfs.  My exchange partition now has a vfat filesystem, which
admittedly gets messed up by macos but not too badly (so far).

--
John (MacPhail)