Re: Recovering Open Firmware [was: On using the imstt driver on a 9600 (was: Re: X on a 9600 artifacts...)]

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 01:37:40PM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Aug 21 2002, Vinai Kopp wrote:
> > Sounds good. If I can't get it to work via a serial cable I'll try
> > this option.
>
> 	I think that you should try Cmd-Opt-P-R before trying the
> 	serial cable, since it's easier and doesn't involve hooking
> 	the two computers... It may also be the case that booting with
> 	a MacOS CD (press "c" when you hear the chime at boot) resets
> 	the NVRAM.

Ok, I ended up going the Cmd-Opt-P-R way, because somehow the serial
cable (or the adapter) seems to be broke.
I am reinstalling debian now.

> 	Anyway, since I also have had these problems with the mac not
> 	booting and me desperately trying to reset its parameters, I
> 	learned to ignore quik for trying a new, untried kernel: I
> 	always use a boot floppy for trying new kernels that I
> 	compile, until I'm sure the new kernel satisfies me.

Could you point me to a reference on how to create boot floppies on a mac?
I'll follow the advice to first try new ppc kernels from a floppy. I
still want to try to get X to work properly.

Thanks for the infos!
Greetings,
--
Vinai