Re: On using the imstt driver on a 9600 (was: Re: X on a 9600 artifacts...)

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 04:06:31PM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Aug 20 2002, Vinai Kopp wrote:
> > 2) X starts using the fbdev driver (imstt doesn't work).
>
> 	I think that I know the solution to this one. I had problems
> 	getting the imstt driver working until I literally specified
> 	the PCI BusID option of the card. You can get this information
> 	from lspci (be warned that lspci gives the id in hex and the
> 	XF86Config-4 needs it in decimal).

I tried lspci, and it didn't display the vga information.

> 	I also needed to use a 2.4 kernel for lspci to see all the PCI
> 	devices of this box (with a 2.2 kernel, lspci didn't know
> 	about the video card).

And here, *Ups*, I f*ckuped :(
I apt-get installed kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc kernel-doc-2.4.18,
edited /etc/quik.conf to point to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.28-powerpc
and ran quik: seemd like using lilo - but, well, it isn't lilo :(
No my beloved mac sits and hangs when I boot.
The monitor LED lights up so I guess something is happening, but the
screen stays black :(
The harddisks also powerup, but I can't hear them being accessed.

So, me thinks, I reconed that could happen when playing with a new
architecture and I already know how to install debian fromn floppies.
But - *Ups again* - the darn thing won't boot from the floppies any-
more! It does seems like I wasn't carefull enough *sigh*

The next thing is rescuing the box.
According to http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/quirks.shtml
the "output-device defaults to ttya" on 9600 macs. Hm, how can I make
that output visible? Any other pointers or ideas what to do?

> 	Then, I hope you'll be able to use the imstt driver instead of
> 	fbdev, which is slower.

As soon as I get the box up with the 2.3.18 kernel I'll continue with
that step :)

> 	Hope this helps, Roger...

Thanks for the input - I definetly need it!

Best regards,
--
Vinai
Registered Linux User #280755, Debian GNU/Linux  http://counter.li.org/