X on a 9600 artifacts and AltGr on Keyboard mapped to where?

Hello,

I set up Woody on my 9600/300 this weekend.
No Problems during the, Open Firmware boots linux without complaints.

But (there always is a but) two issues are still bugging me:

1) Where is the keyboard mapping for the console specified?
   I would like to map the right alt key to act as the AltGr key.
   I can't type the tilde, pipe or at symbols (~ | @) witout it
   (it's a german qwertz keyboard).
   Also is there a was to emulate the second and thord mouse button
   using gpm?

2) X starts using the fbdev driver (imstt doesn't work).
   The problem is every couple of pixels a line is shifted to the left.
   The shifted lines even wrap around to the right, if the offset
   takes them beyond the left border of the screen.
   That happens with wdm, xdm, twm and WindowMaker, so I guess it is a
   xserver issue.  Setting UseFBDev to false makes no difference.
   Changing the depth doesn't make the problem go away,
   it only changes the length of the offset and the distance between
   the shifted lines. All listed resolutions work (all display
   the strange behavior).
   I put up a couple of photos that illustrate the problem
   online here: http://vinais.home-in-the.net/ppc/

   Here are the sections I think are relevant from my XF86Config-4:

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "pex5"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "xie"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Formac ProNitron 17 400"
        HorizSync       31-82
        VertRefresh     50-110
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Formac ProNitron 17 400"
        DefaultDepth    8
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

I have "800x600" and "640x480" as alternative resolution listed as
well, I deleted them here so the lines don't get to long.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!
I would really love to have this machine doing something again! It's
been sitting around with MacOS not getting used for so long.

Greetings,
--
Vinai
Registered Linux User #280755, Debian GNU/Linux  http://counter.li.org/