Re: Recovering Open Firmware [was: On using the imstt driver on a 9600 (was: Re: X on a 9600 artifacts...)]

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:13:28AM +0200, Vinai Kopp wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 02:32:40PM -0700, Brad Boyer wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:05:11PM +0200, Vinai Kopp wrote:
> > > The next thing is rescuing the box.
> > > According to http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/quirks.shtml
> > > the "output-device defaults to ttya" on 9600 macs. Hm, how can I make
> > > that output visible? Any other pointers or ideas what to do?
> >
> > You have two choices here. You can use a serial terminal to access
> > to OF interface, or you can change the settings from the MacOS. I
> > generally use an old Mac SE/30 running ZTerm as a serial terminal
> > when I need such things. Any old Mac or PC with the proper serial
> > cable will work. For a Mac, a standard Mac serial printer cable
> > works fine. For a PC, you'll need a null modem cable with a PC
> > style plug at one end and a Mac style plug at the other. The other
> > alternative is to use the MacOS on your 9600 to change the OF
> > settings. The Boot Variables program can change the NVRAM on
> > all the older models. You can find a copy online.
>
> Thank you for the infos. I'll use the serial cable variant, because I
> guess to use NVRAM I would first be able to boot into MacOS, witch I
> completly removed during the woody install.
>
> I just got the adapter so now I have a cable to connect my PC style
> serial port to the mac. I'll check it out tonight.

On my 9500, OF talks to the serial port at 38400 baud, not 9600.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |