Re: IBM 7025-F40 and Binary compatibility

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 11:57:49PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > - If yes, are there possibilities to run AIX binaries on it ?
>
> I don't know but I haven't heard of that possibility and I assume it's not
> possible.

This was proposed a number of years ago as a way to get a decent
web browser, but as soon as Netscape released Linux binaries for
ppc, noone cared enough to put in the effort.

> > - Is there any support for binary compatibility with linux i386
> > architecture, like linux alpha does versus linux i386 architecture ?
>
> Again, I haven't heard of that, how do they do it? There is bochs but
> I'm not sure that's what you're after.

The alpha/x86 compatibility relies on a proprietary library from DEC
that was based on the code used in NT to allow running regular Windows
programs. It would be a significant project to do the same thing on
other architectures.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com