Re: X won't start

At sometime around 6:55 PM -0700 on 6/13/02, Chris Tillman wrote thus:
On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 04:02:16PM -0600, Marc Stergionis wrote:
 Sometime around 11:01 PM +0200 on 6/13/02, H?vard Skinnemoen wrote thus:
 The uncommented urls, therefore, that resulted in the above messages are:

 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
                                      / woody main contrib non-free
I believe the slash that should be    ^ here is significant.

Why not just run dselect.

I think either one has an interface to add sources and will put the lines
you need in the sources.list without typos.

Tried dselect which ran very well for awhile, till it started spitting out
302 Moved Temporarily

and

0 Moved Temporarily errors again.

Starting to wonder if it has something to do with our firewall.

I know that Mac OS X Software Update will not access the Apple site unless I have passworded through the firewall in another program, like a web browser.

apt-get

and

dselect

do not invoke the firewall-password request.

But lynx does.

Is there a way to have lynx running in one window and then start dselect in another?

I've tried passwording through with lynx and then immediately quitting it and starting dselect, but, as I said, dselect then poops out, as if the firewall closed down again (which it does when you close a web browser in Mac OS.

I tried doing F1 and F2 and F3 to invoke an additional command line, like I remembered doing in other distros, but got nothing.

OR is there a way to get apt-get or dselect to force a firewall-password prompt?

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis