Re: X won't start

Sometime around 8:49 PM +0200 on 6/13/02, Håvard Skinnemoen wrote thus:
 > debian stable main contrib non-free
 debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
 stable/updates main contrib non-free

Ah..."stable" is currently an alias of "potato", so that's the word you
should replace with "woody". Rumours say that it's not long time until
"stable" will be pointing to "woody".

 BTW, the CDs I installed from are 2.2r0 20000814

 I assume the first and third of those now-commented entries are what
 I want to uncomment, and maybe then *comment* the CD entries?

That's right. The second one, too, if you want crypto software.

Cool. Been doing

apt-get update

it keeps telling me

lgn http://http.us.debian.org woody/main Release

then I get a while of a small percentage of

[Connecting to http.us.debian.org]

the percentage has never seemed to go over 17%

and then I get

Failed to fetch ...
302 Moved Temporarily

Failed to fetch ...
0 Moved Temporarily

a few

W couldn't stat source package list (with long url)

and then

W You may want to run apt-get update to correct these missing files
E. Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored or old
ones used instead.

So of course apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't upgrade anything ... and
apt-get update just repeats its loop.

Is this usual ... just keep trying?

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis