Re: X won't start

Sometime around 7:11 PM +0200 on 6/13/02, Håvard Skinnemoen wrote thus:
On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:54:08AM -0600, Marc Stergionis wrote:
 At sometime around 8:11 PM -0700 on 6/12/02, Chris Tillman wrote thus:
[...]
 >Probably, you need to set your mouse device to /dev/input/mice in the
 >/etc/X11/XF86Config file. However, I'm pretty confident that's not
 >going to be enough. Powermac support in X was pretty shaky in the
 >potato distribution you installed, it would behoove you to upgrade to
 >woody. To do that, please try man apt-get or man aptitude and look for
 >dist-upgrade.

 Thanks Chris ... as in man apt-get, I first did apt-get update, and
 got Lists and dependencies updated.

 apt-get dist-update

That should be "dist-upgrade" :)

Oh yeah, that's what I did/meant ...

 returns:

 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 not upgraded

 I'm missing an argument perhaps?

You'll need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point apt-get to woody
instead of potato. To put it simply, you just have to substitute all
occurrences of "potato" with "woody". Then, you should do apt-get update
and apt-get dist-upgrade and have a cup of coffee while the packages are
being downloaded :)

At this point, /etc/apt/sources.list has uncommented only my "Potato
Official powerpc Binary" CDs, 1, 2 & 3.

None of the entries above that say potato, just

debian stable main contrib non-free
debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
stable/updates main contrib non-free

BTW, the CDs I installed from are 2.2r0 20000814

I assume the first and third of those now-commented entries are what
I want to uncomment, and maybe then *comment* the CD entries?

Thanks

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis