Re: X won't start

At sometime around 8:11 PM -0700 on 6/12/02, Chris Tillman wrote thus:
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 03:47:31PM -0600, Marc Stergionis wrote:
 I've just installed Debian on an 8600 (upgraded to G4-400).

 When I boot, I get a good bootup process, then 4 gray screens flash
 before I get a prompt (text login).

 when I ask to startx,

 I get lots of screen resolutions and frequencies running by (they all
 say "deleted")

 then (paraphrasing somewhat)

No need to paraphrase, the log is located at /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Probably, you need to set your mouse device to /dev/input/mice in the
/etc/X11/XF86Config file. However, I'm pretty confident that's not
going to be enough. Powermac support in X was pretty shaky in the
potato distribution you installed, it would behoove you to upgrade to
woody. To do that, please try man apt-get or man aptitude and look for
dist-upgrade.

Thanks Chris ... as in man apt-get, I first did apt-get update, and got Lists and dependencies updated.

apt-get dist-update

returns:

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 not upgraded

I'm missing an argument perhaps?

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis