Re: XF86 problems on Powerbook Ti

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 02:30:50PM +0100, Jamie Heckford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im having real problems getting my Powerbook Ti to run X properly.
>
> Does anyone know what resolutions/modes are supported, and is there
> any way I can configure X (change resolutions etc.) Without editing
> /etc/X11/XF86config by hand?

If you enabled CONFIG_PROC_DEVICETREE in the kernel, you can find much
useful information under /proc/device-tree. For example, under
/proc/device-tree/pci@f0000000/ATY,CrownParent/ATY,Crown_A

$ hexdump -d width
0000000   00000   01280
$ hexdump -d height
0000000   00000   00854

which means that I have a 1280x854 display. You might have to substitute
the path above, depending on your powerbook generation.

To reconfigure X, type
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

You will probably have to tweak /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4)? by hand, since
you won't find the correct resolution in there. Also, you must probably
add a ModeLine for your display. I have seen a couple of modelines on
this list (again, the exact one depends on your powerbook generation).

> Im running potato and XF86 3.3.6

I'm running sid and XF86 4.2.0 :) You should probably upgrade to woody.
As for XF86, my Radeon M7 wasn't supported before XF86 4.2.0. I don't
know what video hardware you've got, but Michel has posted a link to
XF86 4.2.0 binaries to this list on several occasions.

Håvard