Re: Still trying to boot...

On   7 Jun, this message from Daniel Bolgheroni echoed through cyberspace:
> I've trying to boot Debian GNU/Linux on a Performa 6360, so I configured
> the boot with the command: nvsetenv boot-device 'ofpath /dev/hda8' (note
> this is not back quote as in manual: nvsetenv boot-device `ofpath
> /dev/hda8`, but I get my machine is not supported).

This is close to the worst way to set boot-device :)

In fact, what the manual wants, is set boot-device to the output of the
command 'ofpath /dev/hda8', hence the backquotes. Backquotes tell the
shell: 'replace this with the output of the command enclosed in the
backquotes'. The message about your machine not being supported comes
from ofpath, which knows nothing about your machine (because the author
didn't tell it anything).

So, to sum this up, on your machine you cannot use the convenient way as
described in the manual to set boot-device; you need to find it the
manual way by going into OF and finding the OpenFirmware path to your
boot disk.

See Chris' mail for how to do that.

Cheers

Michel