Re: Trying to use sleepd for inactivity

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 12:48, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > sleepd works by watching the IRQ bus for interrupts. Specifically,
> > looking through the code it looks through /proc/interrupts for anything
> > that looks like an interrupt for a mouse or keyboard.
> >
> > Here's what my /proc/interrupts looks like. I'm using an iBook DV 466.
> >
> >            CPU0
> >  19:      21205   OpenPIC   Level     ide0
> >  20:        244   OpenPIC   Level     ide1
> >  25:     783175   OpenPIC   Level     VIA-PMU
>
> The VIA-PMU interrupt is where keyboard and mouse activity hide in. Good
> luck subtracting the baseline interrupt activity there, I suspect the
> scheduling timer is in there as well :-)

Yeah, but wouldn't it suck if your laptop went to sleep while you were
playing XBill with a USB mouse ? ;)

Listening to /dev/input* is a better idea (on PPC, at least). I remember
having some advices on using signals and select (iirc) when I wanted to
implement such a thing for acme, for the "no-activity dimming", so that
you wouldn't have to poll the devices.

Sleepd would probably make a great daemon in which to implement such
features (ie. After X minutes of inactivity, launch "foo"). Didn't
closely look at it though. I might be wrong, I usually am.

--
/Bastien Nocera, running away
http://hadess.net