Re: Trying to use sleepd for inactivity

> > The VIA-PMU interrupt is where keyboard and mouse activity hide in. Good
> > luck subtracting the baseline interrupt activity there, I suspect the
> > scheduling timer is in there as well :-)
>
> Yeah, but wouldn't it suck if your laptop went to sleep while you were
> playing XBill with a USB mouse ? ;)

USB mice are for wimps :-) Mice are for wimps, come to think of it.

> Listening to /dev/input* is a better idea (on PPC, at least). I remember
> having some advices on using signals and select (iirc) when I wanted to
> implement such a thing for acme, for the "no-activity dimming", so that
> you wouldn't have to poll the devices.

Select with a reasonable timeout should be what you need. If the input
device doesn't support selects, have that feature added.
I can't imagine the X server or gpm polls for events though.

/dev/input should be used on all architectures now, no?

> Sleepd would probably make a great daemon in which to implement such
> features (ie. After X minutes of inactivity, launch "foo"). Didn't
> closely look at it though. I might be wrong, I usually am.

Seems it needs a major rewrite to be useful beyond ix86 though.

	Michael