Maybe I'm just wasting my time.

    If it can, and I'm just doing something dim, I need some help.
    This is what I've done so far:

#1. I made floppy discs of the 'rescue.bin' & 'root.bin' images with
DiskCopy in MacOS, and remembered to lock the image files in the Finder
first.

#2. I used System Disk to overide the default output device and boot device,
and then asked my machine to reboot.  OpenFirmware's reply: "fd: Can't LOAD
from this device."

#3. Next, I tried setting the boot-device directly in OF (1.0.5).  Same
result.

#4. I repeated #1 with fresh discs, still in MacOS, after redownloading the
disc images through Lynx *definitely* in binary mode.  Same result.

#5. I made new floppy discs of the disc images in LinuxPPC on another
machine.  Same freakin' result.  "fd: can't LOAD from this device."

    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Follow-up question: does my OldWorld 9600 need a MacOS partition, or can
I just wipe the drive and make it Debian from stem to stern?

    Thanks.

        matthew frederick davis h.