attempt to get accelerated video in PT Pro

Hi,

I am attempting to get my (old) ATI MACH64GX card working using the ati
driver in X in an old Power Tower Pro 200 (6 slot PCI -- 9500 clone).

I am currently running kernel 2.2.20 based on the powermac install of woody.
I am running the video card in frame buffer mode with a default depth of 15.
I realize that with my configuration, that 2.2 kernels have issues with the
dual pci bus.  I have compiled a 2.4.18 kernel and booted it and it did
recognize the dual bus, and for the first time the X logs showed this but I
had troubles getting the ati driver to work in any mode and the fb driver to
work in 15 bit depth (worked with 8 bit depth).  I like to use a 1024x768
resolution.

Using 2.4.18 and X 4.1:

The ati driver would only recognize the 8 bit depth, but then stopped with
the error:  coudn't initialize Linear Aperature.  Any other depth would not
even get to the point where the ati driver was starting to initialize things.
 Should one of the modules be turned off?

The frame buffer driver would work with 8 bit depth, but for some reason, the
memory reported in the X logs indicated that I only had 768K instead of the
actual 2048K.  Consequently anything higher than 8bit would not work.  Is
there any way to specify a command line of argument in BootX for specifiying
the video memory?

My video card is in the bottom slot.  Would it be better to move it to a
different slot so that 2.2.20 kernel would recognize it and possibly work in
accelerated mode?  I had some scsi hard drive corruption issues after having
run the 2.4.18 kernel (and went back to 2.2.20) and am a little leery of
changing too many things at once.

I have attached my XF86Config-4 file.  This is not life and death since I do
have a working card in the highest resolution (unaccelerated).  However, as I
move to a 2.4 kernel, it would be nice to have the card working again (at the
highest bit depth) even if unaccelerated.

When I downloaded the kernel-source-2.4.18-4 I didn't download any patches.
Should I?

Thanks,

John Schmidt
jas@netbrick.com
### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"