Re: attempt to get accelerated video in PT Pro

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, John Schmidt wrote:
> I am attempting to get my (old) ATI MACH64GX card working using the ati
> driver in X in an old Power Tower Pro 200 (6 slot PCI -- 9500 clone).
>
> I am currently running kernel 2.2.20 based on the powermac install of woody.
> I am running the video card in frame buffer mode with a default depth of 15.
> I realize that with my configuration, that 2.2 kernels have issues with the
> dual pci bus.  I have compiled a 2.4.18 kernel and booted it and it did
> recognize the dual bus, and for the first time the X logs showed this but I
> had troubles getting the ati driver to work in any mode and the fb driver to
> work in 15 bit depth (worked with 8 bit depth).  I like to use a 1024x768
> resolution.
>
> Using 2.4.18 and X 4.1:
>
> The ati driver would only recognize the 8 bit depth, but then stopped with
> the error:  coudn't initialize Linear Aperature.  Any other depth would not
> even get to the point where the ati driver was starting to initialize things.
>  Should one of the modules be turned off?

Perhaps XFRee86 4.1 doesn't support your Mach64 GX?

> The frame buffer driver would work with 8 bit depth, but for some reason, the
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> memory reported in the X logs indicated that I only had 768K instead of the
> actual 2048K.  Consequently anything higher than 8bit would not work.  Is
> there any way to specify a command line of argument in BootX for specifiying
> the video memory?

Which frame buffer driver? From your report, I guess you are using offb and not
atyfb. You can verify that by looking at /proc/fb.

Atyfb may give better results (if it can handle your GX, not all GXes are
supported).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds