Re: X server terminating unexpectedly

I've got a Rage 128 Pro. Here's my video card section. What sould I be looking for?

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
       Driver          "ati"
       BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
EndSection

Thanks,

Thomas

cfm@maine.com wrote:

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 04:20:26PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:

On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 01:09, Thomas Peri wrote:
When I forget to log out, and leave my computer alone for a few hours, my session has often been ended by the time I return. Is this a feature or a bug?

Most definitely a bug.

I find the following two messages both in syslog and daemon.log:

Apr 12 15:35:15 beastie kdm[232]: Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
Apr 12 15:35:18 beastie kdm[587]: session start failed

Nothing before or after these two lines seems to be related, as it's always something different before or after (usually cron or ntpd stuff), and it's usually at least ten or fifteen minutes apart from these lines.

How can I try to track down what's causing this?

This happens to me where I have the wrong XF86Config-4 file for
the card.  There is nothing in the logs.  Check the XF86Config-4
file carefully.

Start X with startx or xinit and see if you can reproduce a crash.

--
Earthling Michel D?nzer (MrCooper)/ Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc) developer