X server terminating unexpectedly

When I forget to log out, and leave my computer alone for a few hours, my session has often been ended by the time I return. Is this a feature or a bug?

I find the following two messages both in syslog and daemon.log:

Apr 12 15:35:15 beastie kdm[232]: Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
Apr 12 15:35:18 beastie kdm[587]: session start failed

Nothing before or after these two lines seems to be related, as it's always something different before or after (usually cron or ntpd stuff), and it's usually at least ten or fifteen minutes apart from these lines.

How can I try to track down what's causing this? (If it's a security feature or something, how do I turn it off?)

Thomas