Re: X 'loses text' after sleep

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 11:26:56PM +0100, mallum wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Im running X4.2 ( built from source ) with debian unstable on a tibook
> 550 with radeon drivers. The kernel is 2.4.19pre4-ben0 .
>
> When I sleep and then wake up the machine in X, terms and various
> other apps now either lose characters or the text becomes
> distorted. No other graphical elements seem to be affected only text.
>
> Anyone else experienced this, have a fix ?

I have seen something similar in console apps. I don't have a radeon,
though. I've noticed it particularly since switching to the 2.4 kernel.

When editing in emacs, if I kill the last half of the line, or use
Ctrl-Q to re-wrap, a 'shadow' of the letters that were there remains
at the end of the paragraph. I see a similar effect on the command
line, so I guess readline would be the common denominator. But I also
see the same effect in nano. And the most obvious one, is when using
Shift-PgUp to scroll back up to lines which have already left the
screen in the console. There, random letters appear and disappear. You
can make it better by going up past the point you want to read, then
back down.

I use an iMac 350, I also saw the same thing on an oldWorld
PowerComputing 180.