Re: Depair: Help for installing Woody on an ibook (M8587) needed - LONG

Hi Siggi!
On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 11:46:53PM +0100, Siggi Langauf wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Georg Koss wrote:
>
> > I bought an ibook (M8597) last week intending to install Woody solely
> > ;-).

I meant that I want to have Woody as the only OS (God my English :-( )

> [...]
>
> Hmmm, I know it's easy to find by doing a list search, but then
> again: searching Debian lists is not really easy, so... Have you tried
> Branden's instructions on http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html ?

I read the page indeed.

I've one major and one minor problem with it.

I've a G4 (Woody3.0) with a 56k dialup as only working box.
On the ibook2 (?) I was able to install a kernel 2.2.20 and
basedebs.tgz. This mini-system is rebootable.

The minor problem with it is that I couldn't find that
mac-usb-us-keycodes on the images-1.44/* files - so I've no at, pipe

As I mentioned, I'm not able to get even a ping contact from my ibook
to my G4 to finish the installation. As I'm not able to get a
bidirectional ethernet connection, I couln't reach any sites. The ping
from G4 to the ibook works well.
I cannot work out if I have some sort of configuration error or there
is a problem with that kernel 2.2.20-pmac. Therefore I wanted to try
the 2.4.18-ben0. Installation from kernel-package works well but at
boottime it hangs repeatedley with differing config-2.4.18-ben0's
(don't know why :-( ).

> They worked fine for me (with the new, white iBook 2nd Generation, don't
> know what the M8597 is).

I assume it must be the same, but even my Apple-retailer don't know
what an ibook2 should be.

> Oh, and if you want to keep OS X, do _not_ install it on an UFS
> partition; it would be terribly slow then...

Don't want that, but THX

Thanks again for patience and help

--

M.f.G.