Sound on Tanzania, and life with Apple Open Firmware

Sounds working just great on my Tanzania/4400, I'm just curious.  On the
MB, I see a Crystal chip that looks like it should be sound, but no such
device shows up on the PCI bus.  In fact, I haven't been able to find
any sign of having a sound device.

But the dmasound driver loads, and it plays music *better than it did in
it's life as a Macintosh. (???)

Does anyone know how this works?

Another troubling bit...I am still having to use BootX to boot, which
impedes this machines usefulness as a headless machine.  Is there a
limitation in MacOS Open Firmware similar to Suns, which requires a
multisync monitor to run (I am using a 640x480 Trinitron/Apple.)  I can
barely read the screen when I boot Open Firmware, it's distorted and
flickers, and the Keyboard doesn't work.  This would be fine, except
that I get the 'default catch' thing, and the workaround I've found
requires interaction. Arrg.

--
Mack Allison
Linux Support Services