Palm Sync on a Pismo (irda)

I got my kernel compiled with all the modules needed for irda sync, (the
benh tree) and I got all the software installed...

The problem is that the palm and the laptop never really get connected.

With irdump I can see that it IS getting data, and a lot of it, but I
just
don't know why it doesn't work.

Sometimes it just doesn't connect. Sometimes it does the starting noise,
but never the ending one.

It just looks like the communication is bad. And I have the palm less than
a foot away from the port.

Any idea what's going on?

I'm running unstable with the latest kernel (recompiled yesterday)

Benja