Re: PowerMac 4400/200 32M RAM

Chris Tillman <tillman@voicetrak.com> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 07:13:15PM +0000, John Fremlin wrote:
>> We should like to run debian (or any other free UNIX) on an old mac
>> called on the front cover a Power Macintosh 4400/200.
[...]
>> How do we stop the monitor going out of sync? Is there a bootloader
>> command line or something anywhere?
>
> video=ofonly needs to go into the bootloader line. Unfortunately in the
> case of hfs-boot-floppy that's embedded in a resource within the System
> file. You could download the fixed System image from
>
> cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/miBoot/
>
> System.bin is a Macbinary encoded System file.

Do you have a ddable image of that :-(

[...]
> You can also boot the Debian installer from BootX. Put the 'linux'
> file from the distribution in the Linux Kernels folder, and set the
> root file to root.bin in the Options. Be sure when you download not
> to save linux as SimpleText. It must be binary.

Thanks! We'll probably do that if we can get CDs working again

>> We can't boot into yellowdog anymore because the install fscked up as
>> it was making the root fs, razing our MacOS to the ground. Is there
>> any small Mac system disk with a CD driver so we can bootstrap
>> yellowdog from CD again?
>>
> There's a MacOS 8.1 floppy image at the apple site, search for Disk
> Tools.

That's what we're booting off of at the moment. It has no CD driver
AFACT

> But most Macs can boot CDs without a system, did you hold
> the C key down?

Yes to no avail. We also tried a number of other three hand vulcan
death grips for booting from specific SCSI luns etc without any
success. I think I read on the NetBSD site that this kind of Mac can't
boot from CD anyway but I might be wrong
[...]

Thank you very much for so promptly responding to our newbie
questions!

--

	http://john.fremlin.de