Re: PowerMac 4400/200 32M RAM

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 07:13:15PM +0000, John Fremlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We should like to run debian (or any other free UNIX) on an old mac
> called on the front cover a Power Macintosh 4400/200.
>
> We dd'd the woody hfs floppy image to a floppy and were apparently
> able to boot, but the monitor was out of sync so we just saw a fuzzy
> penguin and grey stuff which may or may not have been text.
>
> How do we stop the monitor going out of sync? Is there a bootloader
> command line or something anywhere?

video=ofonly needs to go into the bootloader line. Unfortunately in the
case of hfs-boot-floppy that's embedded in a resource within the System
file. You could download the fixed System image from

cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/miBoot/

System.bin is a Macbinary encoded System file.

> There seems to be some problem with the rootfs floppy we're using
> because the kernel behaves like kernels that can't find root
> (i.e. reboot after a few minutes).
>
> We booted into yellowdog once from BootX and activating the "force
> video driver" option (or something like that IIRC) would make the
> video go in sync. Note that the monitor is just some random small mac
> monitor called an Apple Performa Plus and probably doesn't go with the
> case. We have access to any number of monitors so if you have any
> model to recommend super duper.

You can also boot the Debian installer from BootX. Put the 'linux' file
from the distribution in the Linux Kernels folder, and set the root file to
root.bin in the Options. Be sure when you download not to save linux as
SimpleText. It must be binary.

> We can't boot into yellowdog anymore because the install fscked up as
> it was making the root fs, razing our MacOS to the ground. Is there
> any small Mac system disk with a CD driver so we can bootstrap
> yellowdog from CD again?

There's a MacOS 8.1 floppy image at the apple site, search for Disk Tools.
But most Macs can boot CDs without a system, did you hold the C key down?