Re: directly botting for an oldworld powerbook G3

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:45:27PM -0600, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Jaume Teixi <teixi@6tems.com> writes:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > I cannot success with the openfirmware 2.0.1 for booting directly into
> > my linux partition and stop using BootX ofpath /dev/hda9 says
> > /pci/mac-io/ata0/ata-disk@0:9
> >
> > but either value I put into boot-device it says "cannot boot"
> >
> > what to chek ?
>
> Try things like:
>
> ata/ata-disk@0:9
>
> For more information you might want to work through apple's technotes:
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html>
> <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1062.html>
> <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1044.html>
>
> briefly, some commands for working in OF:
>
> [ dev / ls ] - list the device tree (no [])
> [ devalias ] - list device aliases
>
> From: <http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/221.html>
>
> 3)	Internal IDE hard-drive bootup
> 	Tanzania motherboard machines (StarMax, 4400, PowerTools, APS):
> 	boot-device ata/ata-disk@0:0
> 	boot-file  /vmlinux root=/dev/hdaX   (X is partition no. of root)
>
> 	Others (6400, powerbase):
> 	boot-device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0
> 	boot-file  /vmlinux root=/dev/hdaX
>
> 	Note that if linux isn't the first bootable partition on your
> 	drive, you'll have to specify the partition number in
> 	boot-file: boot-file ata/ATA-Disk@0:X/vmlinux root=/dev/hdaX
> 	(X is partition no. of root)
>
> 	You need to set up your boot-blocks with quik (linux only -
> 	MacOS version doesn't recognize IDE).  Boot-up off a floppy,
> 	and use quik to set up your boot blocks (quik -vf).

Also, quik _really_ likes it if you put the kernel on the same
partition where you run quik, which is also where it writes its
bootblock. I've had very little luck moving things to other
partitions, especially without putting it in the conf file. It does
better with the conf file than with typed arguments.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |