Re: directly botting for an oldworld powerbook G3

Jaume Teixi <teixi@6tems.com> writes:

> hello,
>
> I cannot success with the openfirmware 2.0.1 for booting directly into
> my linux partition and stop using BootX ofpath /dev/hda9 says
> /pci/mac-io/ata0/ata-disk@0:9
>
> but either value I put into boot-device it says "cannot boot"
>
> what to chek ?

Try things like:

ata/ata-disk@0:9

For more information you might want to work through apple's technotes:

<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html>
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1062.html>
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1044.html>

briefly, some commands for working in OF:

[ dev / ls ] - list the device tree (no [])
[ devalias ] - list device aliases

From: <http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/221.html>

3)	Internal IDE hard-drive bootup
	Tanzania motherboard machines (StarMax, 4400, PowerTools, APS):
	boot-device ata/ata-disk@0:0
	boot-file  /vmlinux root=/dev/hdaX   (X is partition no. of root)

	Others (6400, powerbase):
	boot-device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0
	boot-file  /vmlinux root=/dev/hdaX

	Note that if linux isn't the first bootable partition on your
	drive, you'll have to specify the partition number in
	boot-file: boot-file ata/ATA-Disk@0:X/vmlinux root=/dev/hdaX
	(X is partition no. of root)

	You need to set up your boot-blocks with quik (linux only -
	MacOS version doesn't recognize IDE).  Boot-up off a floppy,
	and use quik to set up your boot blocks (quik -vf).

hth, Elizabeth