Re: Beige G3 won't boot

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 12:22:43AM +1100, Craige McWhirter wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 10:48, Bertram Bourdrez wrote:
> > I have some problems booting my beige G3. It currently runs MacOS 9, which
> > fails to recognise the RealTek 8139 I've put into it (I can't use the
> > onboard NIC as my hub only understands 100 Mbit). So I tried booting off a
> > floppy, and failed miserably. Sometimes the boot process just ignores the
> > floppy, at other times it ejects it. Using OpenFirmware to boot the floppy
> > results in similar failures. Anyone any idea how to get a network-less G3
> > running?
>
> IIRC you wont be able to boot from floppy, or CD. This is the price we
> Beige G3 users pay for having old hardware :/ As another respondant
> mentioned, you will need to use BootX. You install this off the Debian
> CD into MacOS then use it to boot off the CD and you can begin your
> Debian installation.
>
> Unless you want to do some messy hacking, I recommend keeping MacOS,
> preferrably on  a seperate disk or on a partition >= 100M and using
> BootX to load Debian on boot.

Ah, thanks. I still have a few questions remaining... will I need to
download the entire Debian CD or can I get away with getting some files into
MacOS through sneakernet? Second, my first intent was to dual-boot OS X with
Debian, is this somehow feasible or do I have to keep OS 9 around? I'm still
somewhat unclear on the boot-through-BootX thing. Ideally I'd like to
eliminate the need for OS 9 entirely.

Bertram
--
Bertram Bourdrez (bertram at debian dot mbit dot nl) -- ICQ# 32236129