Re: XF86Config-4 ibook2

Thanks everybody for your help.

I was able to configure X on my ibook2.

Using Benh latest kernel and building the r128 module along with the agp that the module dependencies required, and running
"dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86"

Some of the options selected where the ati driver the kernel framebuffer device, Advanced config for the display settings and selecting the lowest settings though I can reconfigure and set the correct settings. Mouse is /dev/input/mice.

Once I run "dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86" I ran dexconf (that may have been the step I was skipping oops)

Then startx and it finally worked.

Thanks again for helping to end my trial and error frustration. I knew I was close but did not fully understand the tools.
debconf and dexconf.

Back to debian !!!! Goodbye Yellowdog.

Tom

What are the steps I need to take to get X working??

What kernel modules are needed?

None for 2D, r128 for 3D.

What order do they need to be installed?

The r128 module will be loaded by the X server if needed.

Supposing I have all the kernel modules in place then what packages are
needed?

xserver-xfree86 and xlibmesa3 for 3D.

When I startx I get error no screens found.

That's a generic error message which usually follows a more specific
one.

Also should I be able to build a working X using "dpkg-reconfigure -plow
xfree86-xserver"

Yes. Select the ati driver and enable use of the framebuffer device.

or will dexconf work?

dexconf is the tool which writes out XF86Config-4 as configured with
debconf.

XFree86 and DRI project member / CS student, Free Software enthusiast