Re: Fix for german keymaps in woody on the ibook2

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:14, Siggi Langauf wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Well, there's not much choice on the iBook keyboard: you more or less have
> > > to choose the compined alt/Option key, or maybe the small enter key next
> > > to the right Command (Apple) key, but I'm usin that as my second/third
> > > mouse button already...
> >
> > Let's leave that out of the picture for now, this could be an
> > interesting lead... does that key have keycode 108 in X?
>
> Hmmm, which one?
> The left "alt" key, which is "Option" as well has keycode 64 in X.
> The small "Enter" key has keycode 96 (or 101 with Fn) on the
> console. Don't know about X here, since I'm using the kernel to map it to
> right/middle mouse buttons...

That's not written in stone. ;) Anyway, I checked and the enter key
indeed produces keycode 96 in console here. Its default symbol in X is
KP_Enter, sounds like a good victim, no? :)

> > You press and release Compose, then you press and release two keys one
> > after another, and the result is the combination of the two (if it
> > exists). E.g. compose, '~', 'n' => ñ. That way, you can get virtually
> > any symbol.
>
> Oh dear! Sounds quite complicated, unless you mainly use the keyboard for
> coding or English text...

Yup, that's the idea. As explained in another post, I have defined
shortcuts for the international symbols I use often.

> [...]
> > I use xmodmap to turn the Enter key (keycode 108) on the right of the
> > space bar into Mode_switch and Multi_key.
> >
> > I wonder if something like this could be a general solution, at least as
> > an Xkb option?
>
> Sounds like a useful solution, but only if you don't multiboot to
> MacOS. They're using the "alt" key there, and it can be really irritating
> if your Mode_switch position depends on your operating system...

I don't like this kind of argument. This is not MacOS, period. I care
much more about consistency within Linux or X in general.