Re: booting problems

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:44:39PM -0500, Pan wrote:
> > Also, I thought you mentioned macos was on your slave drive. So that
> > should not be hd:
> >
> > hd -> internal ide master
> > ultra1 -> internal ide slave
> > ide0 -> secondary controller master
> > ide1 -> secondary controller slave
> >
> > You can also use the Linux-style pathname here instead.
>
> I think I didn't explain it very well :)
> I have 2 drives that concern this problem, let's call them hda and hdb.
> I have 5 partitions on hda (Bootstrap, swap, root, home and macos) and one
> partition on the hdb (macos).
>
> If I work with hda, I have no problems: I can boot to the mac and/or linux
> with the yaboot.conf I sent, no problems at all.
>
> BUT, when I'm running mac from hda and I select the system folder on hdb
> as the startup folder, and reboot the system, there is where the show
> begins. When I select hda again as my startup drive, it boots directly to
> mac os without showing the debian menu. I have then to startup from the
> debian cd and re-bless the bootstrap partition.
>
> And to answer your question, I'm not mounting the bootstrap partition on
> the mac side, either on hda or hdb.

Well, I suspect MacOS is setting the OpenFirmware path to point to the
MacOS partition when you change the Startup Disk. You could reset the
OF path yourself back to the bootstrap partition by booting into
OpenFirmware. Or, I think it would work if you had 2 macos= lines and
just commented the other one out when you wanted to switch your
startup drive, keeping ofboot in charge of booting. You'd need to
remember to run ybin again whenever you edit yaboot.conf, or you could
make a shell script to edit the conf and then run ybin.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |