Re: Keyboards on PowerPC....

* Michel Dänzer (daenzer@debian.org) [020114 17:46]:
> > Thanks for pointing out what the magic words to search for are, but
> > I still contend it's a problem.
>
> You're probably right, thanks for volunteering to solve it once and for
> all. :)

Heh.  I would if I could.  But I doubt that I have much pull with
the Linux PowerPC kernel maintainers.

> You could have found it in the list archives instead of posting a rant.

Did that.  I searched for terms like keyboard, broken, kernel.  And
didn't get what I needed.

> Anyone using the distribution kernels shouldn't need to care anymore. If
> you build your own kernels, you need to know what you're doing.

Ah, but *every* document for installing Debian on an iBook says that
if you want (I think Branden Robinson said) novel things like Power
Management you'll need a newer kernel.

I even used the Debian patches instead of rsyncing. (Well, I tried
both).

> Yes, disable CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES.

Ah, the magic CONFIG define of EVIL.  Now that I know what it is
(aka: ADB raw keycode support), I will not enable it.  I notice that
the Config.help entry lures unsuspecting Debian users to their doom
with "If unsure, say Y here."

> > And while I'm here whinging; Why isn't fnset included in debian
> > someplace  (in base, I would hope)?
>
> Because nobody has included it.
>
> > fnset, for those that don't know, is a program to write to the PMU
> > (that's the right acronym, right?) on your iBook to make it so that
> > f1, f2, etc. work correctly, and that the volume and brightness keys
> > can only be activated via fn+f1, fn+f2, etc.
>
> Looking at what's written on the keys, you seem to have a funny
> definition of 'correct'...
>
> > In otherwords, it reverses the function of the fn key.
>
> That sounds better. :)

Okay, dokay... Does anyone have an idea where the official sources
for this thing are?  I got mine off the mailing list.  If there is a
maintainer, then I would be happy to try to get my Debian Developer
Drivers license and package it.  I don't have the beginning of a
clue what the program is doing, so I wouldn't be comfortable
maintaining the source and the package. :-?

Ciao!

--
In every non-trivial program there is at least one bug.

The Doctor What: "What, Doctor What"             http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC