Re: Keyboards on PowerPC....

* Michel Dänzer (daenzer@debian.org) [020114 17:03]:
> On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 23:44, The Doctor What wrote:
> Don't think so. Search for information about Linux keycodes, e.g in this
> list's archive.

Thanks for pointing out what the magic words to search for are, but
I still contend it's a problem.

However, I can now go and straigten everything out....Done.  Easy
when someone points out the problem.  But it should still have been
done for more and documented someplace I could find.  (Say, in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-source or yaboot).

> > Furthermore, with Ben H's kernel, the up arrow doesn't work, the
> > PgDn (fn+down arrow) doesn't work (no keycodes being generated).
>
> Do you have Magic Sysrq enabled?
>
> > The debian keymaps just *totally* bork everything.
>
> You need to learn about the difference between ADB and Linux keycodes,
> and use the right keymap.

Why?  Seriously, this page implies that I shouldn't need to care
anymore:
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

The choice has been made.  But it isn't implimented (well, not
completely anyway)!  There is no append line added upon
installation, there is no note about setting an option while
buliding the kernel (I assume there is a way to default this when
building a kernel, yes?).  In sum, nothing was explained to me as I
did an install.

And while I'm here whinging; Why isn't fnset included in debian
someplace  (in base, I would hope)?  I found it by searching for
quite a while.  I figured it had to exist.

fnset, for those that don't know, is a program to write to the PMU
(that's the right acronym, right?) on your iBook to make it so that
f1, f2, etc. work correctly, and that the volume and brightness keys
can only be activated via fn+f1, fn+f2, etc.

In otherwords, it reverses the function of the fn key.

Ciao!

--
"Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and
danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing 'Subtle Plans Are Here

The Doctor What: A really hip dude               http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC