Keyboards on PowerPC....

Can someone explain why the keyboards are so foo-bar'ed in linux
PowerPC?

I mean, even with the out of box 2.2.19 debian kernel, some keys are
dead (Caps Lock) to the kernel.

With Ben H's patches (from Debian or otherwise), the keyboard is
*totaled*.  All the keycodes are renumbered.  A is 0, which doesn't
show up in dumpkeys (is that a bug?).

Furthermore, with Ben H's kernel, the up arrow doesn't work, the
PgDn (fn+down arrow) doesn't work (no keycodes being generated).

The debian keymaps just *totally* bork everything.

I've yet to get the 3 button emulation stuff to work under the
console. Though I got GPM to work.

I've been playing with William R Sowerbutts' patch to make caps lock
return a key code (so I can map the cursed thing to control), but
between everything else, my life isn't getting easier.

I haven't tried to start X yet, I'm frightened as to what might go
wrong.

(I have an iBook (blueberry, single USB, 300Mhz).)

Is there anything I can do get make this actually work?  Or is the
console under PowerPC just a joke?

Ciao.

--
I'm at two with nature.