/dev/rtc issues

Hello !

I was trying to use my favorite MIDI sequencer (MusE), as packaged for
powerpc-unstable (yes, I'm a switcher ;). It uses /dev/rtc for
realtime sync, and crashes miserably when trying to do whatever with
it.

After I gave a glance at the kernel tree, I can see we currently have
two rtc drivers :
- a "generic" (actually works for sparc and i386 only) rtc driver in
  drivers/char/rtc.c ;
- a dedicated mac rtc driver (drivers/macintosh/rtc.c) that implements
  only a short subset of the /dev/rtc ioctls. Basically. It is used
  only to get precise time information, whereas the mainstream one can
  be used to get an interrupt-based ticker.

Would anybody have further info on this issue ? I don't know enough
about the ppc architecture to tell whether this set of features could
be ported to ppc. But if it is doable, giving it a shot would be an
important itch I could scratch.

Fabrice