How best to prolong iBook battery longevity (not Debian/Linux specific)

Sorry this is slightly off topic but given recent discussions re iBook
battery life I though this is worth asking here given the technical
knowledge of the audience.

What is the collected wisdom regarding prolonging the life of iBook
batteries ? I've read elsewhere that it is best to keep the battery topped
up and to not let it fall below 30 percent charge.  If the battery is
rated for x number of recharge cycles, does this mean full cycles from
flat to full, or does a "half" recharge cycle still count ?

Thanks,

Tim Bateman