Re: My further foray into debian

On Son, 2002-12-29 at 08:50, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Well, I'm downloading the benh tree, to compile my first kernel (to get
> OpenGL support... as per the wonderful directions I received earlier from
> this list -- thanks again!).

Assuming your iBook has a Radeon chip, you don't need to build a new
kernel but the DRM from drm-trunk-module-src.

> Is there an advantage to changing/upgrading my system from woody to sarge?
>  I'm sure that's a question that may have different answers from different
> people, but are there some upshots that are obvious to anyone?

The idea behind testing is to provide a good compromise between
freshmeat and stability, whereas stable is basically targeted at servers
and mission critical workstations.

However, right now there's not much difference between them because
libc6 is keeping most packages from entering testing. Most interesting
software is only available in sid. That may change again soon as libc6
is being worked on, but if you're missing something in stable right now
you'll probably have to get it from sid.

> To do that (move to sarge) do I just change my sources.list to say
> "testing" where they now say "stable"?  (assuming the mirror has both)

Yes.