Re: Airport ad-hoc LAN

On Thursday, Nov 21, 2002, at 11:07 US/Pacific, Raph HP wrote:

has anyone of you expierences with setting up an ad-hoc LAN with Airport cards? I get a connection between 2 i386 with wlan cards running orinoco
driver, but none of them can ping my TiBook.

I have set up a small wireless network at home by following instructions I found on the net to set up my server (which is using an Orinoco card) to run in IBSS (Ad-Hoc) mode, and running the other machines on the network in managed mode. This includes a TiBook with an airport card, which I've used successfully under both Linux and MacOS 9/X. When I first tried to set up the network, I thought all the machines had to be in ad-hoc mode, but that didn't seem to work. Once I started using a single machine in ad-hoc mode to establish the network, and then connected the other machines normally, everything worked fine.

            Wilhelm Fitzpatrick  |  When we speak of free
         http://www.3roses.com/  |  software we are referring
                     aim:R4F14L  |  to freedom not price.