Re: pbbuttonsd - daemon won't start

Hi ..

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 11:19:45PM +0000, Matthew Yee-King wrote:
>> Do you have an external keyboard connected?
>nope. just using the built in adb one.
>> What does /usr/bin/setupenv.sh say?

[snip]

>bennyhill:~# pbbuttonsd ERROR: Can't find an input event queue for the
>keyboard in /dev/input/,  maybe permission denied.

hrm. Ok, i got:
22:45 $ls -dl /dev/input/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 2002-10-19 21:48 /dev/input/

>interesting. so i try it as a normal user:
>matthew@bennyhill:~$ pbbuttonsd WARNING: Couldn't open /dev/input/mice,
>sleepmode and display dimming disabled.ERROR: Can't open adb device
>[/dev/adb]: Permission denied

that is ok .. pbbuttonsd is usually running as root.

>ok.  # chmod 666 /dev/adb

22:45 $ls -dl /dev/adb
crw-rw----    1 root     root      56,   0 2002-03-14 10:11 /dev/adb

>then try it again:
>matthew@bennyhill:~$ pbbuttonsd WARNING: Couldn't open /dev/input/mice,
>sleepmode and display dimming disabled.ERROR: Can't find an input event
>queue for the keyboard in /dev/input/,  maybe permission denied.

22:45 $ls -dl /dev/input/mice
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 2002-03-14 10:11 /dev/input/mice

If I start pbbuttonsd as palic, I will get the same as you:

22:48 $whoami
palic
22:49 $pbbuttonsd
ERROR: Can't open ADB device /dev/adb: Permission denied

So, you will not get it running under a user except root without
screwing up your right on several devices.

	Regards
			Jan

--
  .''`.    Jan-Hendrik Palic     |
 : :' : ** Debian GNU/ Linux **  |   ** OpenOffice.org **       ,.. ,..