Re: Running the Xserver at an Apple Workgroup Server 7250/120

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 12:27:03PM -0400, simon.raven@sympatico.ca wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 15:49:18 +0200, Sancho Fock composed:
> > Well my problem(s) are, that:
> > 1. I can't find any detailed specification of the mashine's
> > graphic-card. I do only know, that it is on board.
> > 2. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 wants me (as PPC User) to specify
> > not only the driver but also the PCI Address.
>
> the driver: fbdev. the framebuffer device. which, if it is the same on a
> 7200 as it is on a 7500 (my main box :), it'll be control. but that
> doesn't really matter when you want to run X, it *dpes* matter however
> if you need to configure OpenFirmware (aka OF).

Actually, the 7200 used platinum, which was a really simple chip. The
fbdev driver is still the correct one, tho. You cannot use the built-in
video for OF, because Apple didn't bother to write a driver for
this chipset...

> > Xfree86 -scanpci -vv delivers me 3 PCI devices. One is the PCI Bridge
> > (Apple Bandit) and one is an ISDN Card.
> > The third one is a "Apple Grand Station" which I expect to be the
> > graphic card (but I am not sure) I tried any availivle driver at
> > dpkg-reconfigure at the address of this device (00:16:00) but none had
> > worked.
>
> i don't know what grand central does, but it isn't the onboard video. it
> may be where PCI cards are read from, but i'm guessing.

The gc (Grand Central Station) is the Mac equivalent of a SouthBridge
chip. It contains things like ADB, floppy, serial, and other interface
chips. The replacements for this chip in later models had names like
ohare and heathrow. Someone had a sense of humor in the hardware
department at Apple...

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com