Re: PCI versions that work in an 8500?

On  25 Oct, this message from Michael D. Crawford echoed through cyberspace:
> I would like to use a cardbus to pci adapter in my Mac 8500.  That's because I
> have a couple Newer Technology FireWire 2 Go PCILynx cardbus firewire cards.

Chances are good this can be made to work...

> The PCILynx firewire cards can be used as protocol sniffers, which one can do
> now under Mac OS 9 with firebug,

I don't think this would work under OS9...

> and will hopefully be able to do under Linux if
> I can get it together to write a sniffer for Linux.

Now that would be a cool project....

> The guy who sent me the link says it's a PCI 2.2 card.  Should it work on an
> 8500?  I think mine was manufactured in 1996.

I think it should be backward compatible with the 8500's PCI 2.1.

The PCI part should 'just work'. The question is whether the PCCard
support software will see it 'out of the box', or whether you need to
tweek it's config.

There's no definite answer until you try...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |