Re: Running the Xserver at an Apple Workgroup Server 7250/120

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 15:49:18 +0200, Sancho Fock composed:
> Hi,
>
> Last Week i installed Debian at an old Apple Workgroup Server 7250/120.
> Anything works fine so far except of the xserver. Well I know it won't
> be the fastest, but I want it to work!

neato, a fancy 7200 IIRC :)

> Well my problem(s) are, that:
> 1. I can't find any detailed specification of the mashine's
> graphic-card. I do only know, that it is on board.
> 2. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 wants me (as PPC User) to specify
> not only the driver but also the PCI Address.

the driver: fbdev. the framebuffer device. which, if it is the same on a
7200 as it is on a 7500 (my main box :), it'll be control. but that
doesn't really matter when you want to run X, it *dpes* matter however
if you need to configure OpenFirmware (aka OF).

> At least, I am not sure if the graphic card is a PCI-Device at all.

i'm not sure if the onboard video is on the PCI bus, but i *do* know you
don't need to input anything for the PCI video section. don't even try,
cuz then X won't run.

> So here I stand and have no idea, what to configure to get the xserver
> to run. Not the driver and not the PCI-Address!
>
> Xfree86 -scanpci -vv delivers me 3 PCI devices. One is the PCI Bridge
> (Apple Bandit) and one is an ISDN Card.
> The third one is a "Apple Grand Station" which I expect to be the
> graphic card (but I am not sure) I tried any availivle driver at
> dpkg-reconfigure at the address of this device (00:16:00) but none had
> worked.

i don't know what grand central does, but it isn't the onboard video. it
may be where PCI cards are read from, but i'm guessing.

i tired inputting the PCI devide a while ago, when i first tried
configuring X, and it wouldn't start at all with the I slot defined. X
does a good job of scanning that bus, and unless you have a separate
video card, don't bother putting anything there.

> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the X to run?
> Or probably at least what I could probably to to find out, what to do?
>
> I'd be really happy about any help!
> Thanks
> Sancho Fock

simon