Re: I can't make work the ethernet with 2.4.20-pre11-ben0 kernel

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 14:35:14 +0200, José Salavert Torres composed:
> This is my kernel configuration file.

CONFIG_PPC601_SYNC_FIX=y <-- unless you have a PPC601 don't put this
unless you really have one. i.e., don't set it. and the G4 series of
CPUs are NOT 601, trust me :). 601 is the gran'daddy, so to speak.

CONFIG_MACE=y <-- i have MACE ethernet on my machine, but you're not likely to.
set to n. unless lspci tells you otherwise. (i don't have a G4 at hand
to check that)

(further down) CONFIG_TIGON3=y <-- do you really have one? if so, leave it
(of course), but don't set it otherwise.

kernel compilation - for me anyway - i've found that if you DON'T have
certain video, and certain other key things that "you may need in the
future" but don't actually have, will make the kernel compilation fail.

um, a simple trick is to first figure out what you have on the machine
you're compiling the kernel for - do some reading of the owner's manual,
if you have one, go on the apple website for documentation;
knowledgebase section at apple.com. not so much a trick, but anyway
heheh.

i hope this helps.

simon