Re: date is 1934 on reboot

On  21 Oct, this message from Chris Tillman echoed through cyberspace:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:09:52PM -0600, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

My TiBook relativeléy often resets the time to 1904, which is also too
far off for ntp to correct it. I then need to manually adjust it, before
I can sync it with ntp.

It seems this happens every time the PMU gets reset, regardless of
battery availability. At least this TiBook _does_ have an internal bakup
battery (glued to the top cover together with the PMU, above the DVD
drive).

>> > 	The only time I saw something like that was when I left the
>> > 	battery of my iBook drain completely. I suppose that the iBook
>> > 	I have doesn't have an internal battery for the computer's
>> > 	clock.
>>
>> OS9 resets my clock everytime I boot into it.
>>

> If it's off by the same number of hours as the difference from you to
> Greenwich Mean Time, then the fix is simple. It took me awhile to
> figure out, you have to tell Linux you want to use local time, since
> that's what MacOS uses, not GMT as the install prompt seems to
> recommend. You can use date and hwclock, or /usr/sbin/base-config, to
> accomplish this.

Yeah, this is a pain. It's even worse since upon booting, the kernel
reads the UTC offset and a DST flag from NVRAM. This DST flag will be
wrong, unless you boot MacOS to bring the clock over a DST/non-DST
switch. Anybody up for patching MacOS to work with UTC time? :-)

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |