weird airport

Hello,

I am using my ibook2 at school, where some of my friends also use
laptops. So we want to do a WLAN (my wlan interface is eth1), but as there is no access point, we
have to do it otherwise.

Changing the state of the airport card via "iwconfig eth1 mode Ad-Hoc"
do adhoc mode works fine, we can connect afterwards.

But then the weird things begin:
1. If we trasnfer much data (e.g. scp some stuff around) after some time
the interface has a timeout and the prozess ksoftirqd_CPU0 produces
around 90% CPU usage. If I try with ifconfig eth1 down it works. But
then there is no possibility of bringing it back to life. A ifconfig
eth1 up or ifup eth1 just produces a "SIOCSIFLAGS: Connection timed
out". The eth1 is back on afterwards but not in Ad-Hoc mode, trying to
switch it to adhoc mode doesn't work. It _does_ "work", but the
output of "iwconfig" looks afterwards like this:
$ iwconfig eth1
eth1	IEEE 802.11-DS	Nickname:"HERMES I"
	Mode:Ad-Hoc	Channel:-190	Tx-Power=15 dBm
	RTS thr:off
	Encryption key:off
Trying to switch the channel via iwconfig doesn't work (don't really
remember what error msg, as I had to restart the laptop at home to write
this email).

2. This also happens every time after going to sleep mode and waking it
up again.

It can only be solved by rebooting which is hardly possible in class :-/

System:
Debian SID
Kernel 2.4.19-rc3-ben0

mfG Johannes

P.S: Is it possible, that in this kernel version the batterie status
doesn't work?