Troubles booting with external SCSI HD

Hell everybody,

I recently found an _old_ external SCSI HD (manufacturer HP, but apparently sold by LaCie) and tried to use it under Linux. But when I boot with the disk on the SCSI chain (id 6), I get the following msgs :
scsi0 : MESH
scsi : 1 host.
mesh: target 3 synchonous at 5.0 MB/s
	Vendor: MATSHITSA	Model: CDROM CR-8008	Rev: 8.0e
	Type: CD-ROM						ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected SCSI CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
mesh: target 6 aborted
mesh: reselected by tgt 6 but no cmd!
mesh: interrupt in idle phase?

...and then the box keeps hanging, and doesn't seem to work at all...
I'd like to know what the three last lines meen -- do I need a special driver/module ? or is it maybe a controller problem -- unfortunately I am not able to get the name of my controller ... ? what is mesh exactly ? I'm running woody (3.0r0) standard on a Powermac 6400 (ie with kernel 2.2.20) -- should I try to use kernel 2.4 ? If so, how ? (the installer doesn't give me the choice, and boot-floppies for the "new-powermac"-flavor are 2.88 MB images, ie. unsupported by my version of DiskCopy). The drive mounts fine under MacOS (in fact the MacOS is booting from this drive), so it shouldn't be a hardware problem

Thanks,
***Simon

--
Simon Vallet
Institut National Agronomique --- Paris-Grignon